Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday Favorite: Hot Sauce

Sriracha sauce, made by Huy Fong Foods, often called Rooster sauce.  I go through this stuff faster than I go through Ketchup, seriously, I'm on my third bottle this year.  It works best in asian dishes, but it has come to the rescue of many turkey sandwiches.  And if I'm in a restaurant looking at a menu and I see something that lists Sriracha sauce in the description, that's probably what I'm going to order.

Here are some of my original recipes calling for Sriracha.

The Best Ramen Ever:

  • 1 package of Ramen (I use Maruchan Oriental flavor, but beef or pork would probably work pretty well, you're only going to use half of the seasoning packet anyway.)
  • Dark sesame oil
  • Soy Sauce
  • Creamy peanut butter
  • Curry powder (optional)
  • Sriracha
Prepare the noodles according to the package, but pour the water off when the noodles soften.  Pour the noodles into a bowl, add approximately half of the seasoning packet. Drizzle enough soy sauce over the noodles to make the seasoning packet begin to dissolve.  Add about a breakfast spoonful of peanut butter and mix together.  Drizzle a little bit of dark sesame oil, sprinkle a little curry powder, and add as much Sriracha as you can stand.

Variation:
After boiling the noodles, pour off the water, add the noodles to a wok with hot sesame oil. Break an egg and scramble the noodles in the egg, add a bag of frozen vegetables, half of the seasoning packet, soy sauce and Sriracha. You got yourself a big plate of deliciously spicy lo mein.

Super Easy Fish Sandwich With Deconstructed Spicy Sweet Tartar Sauce:


  • Frozen, battered fish fillets or fish sticks (we use Gorton's)
  • Bread
  • Mayonnaise (not miracle whip)
  • Sriracha
  • Bread and butter pickle chips (Vlasic, store brand, whatever.  I like the sweet and spicy variety if I can find it.)
  • Cheese (I like Colby-Jack)
Prepare the fish according to the package.  slather one slice of bread up with mayonnaise, place the fish on that slice. top with a slice of cheese, a few pickle slices, Sriracha, and the other slice of bread.

Canned tuna variation:

This is a great way to make a tuna sandwich with stuff you probably have in the cupboard.  Drain a can of tuna, put it in a small bowl, a custard dish is perfect.  Add a couple tablespoons of mayonnaise, some Sriracha, and little soy sauce, or hoisin sauce if you want, last time I used Soy Vay garlic hoisin.  Mix together with a fork, scoop onto a slice of bread, add more Sriracha, and the other slice.  Great with toasted bread, or used to top a slice of sourdough, or a french baguette or something.


As I mentioned earlier, I regularly use the stuff on turkey sandwiches.  It mixes well with ranch dressing, so I make a sun roasted tomato turkey sandwich with Sriracha ranch dressing.  I don't like turkey too much, but this makes such a good sandwich!

Survey says

My wife made these sesame teriyaki chicken legs last week.  They were amazing alone, but I added Sriracha, which gave them a nice kick.  Maybe she'll post the recipe on her blog.


Here are some other foods I use Sriracha on regularly:
  • Fried rice
  • Stir fry
  • Fajitas
  • Cajun
    • Beans and rice
    • Jambalaya
    • Dirty Rice
    • Blackened catfish
  • Oven roasted salmon (I put it on before baking)
  • Fried fish (especially catfish)
  • Mexican
  • Turkey burgers
  • ANYTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment