Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Milwaukee Is High

I went down to the Milwaukee Saturday with my daughter.  It was like seeing a friend you haven't seen in a while.  She was higher, dirtier and faster than I had expected, and some of my favorite structure had washed away-- not a great way to greet an old friend.

The first cast was made to the head of a pool, it got hung up and the line broke.  This became the day's recurring theme.  I explored my other favorite spots I can access from shore with no results, unless you count tree branches-- I landed a few of those.

After exhausting my favorite pools and cover, I explored new cover.  The streamside vegetation hasn't really came in yet and access is (mostly) easy.  It was in one of these spots that I saw a fish rise to a blade of grass floating on the surface.  My next cast went a yard or so ahead of the rise, and the fish struck my jig and quickly came ashore, a tiny smallmouth bass.


My little girl called the fish "pretty pretty," and started to mimic the fish opening and closing its mouth by sticking her tongue out.  The most adorable thing I have ever seen.


I can't wait to get this little girl her first fishing rod, I think she'll be a fine angler.

No comments:

Post a Comment